Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Emptiness

Hip Liz longs deep down for the empty places of the earth. He's more English than he thinks, maybe. I read somehwere that Englishmen (and women, though they didn't write it that way) were continually seeking the empty lands. Or maybe that was Alec Guinness' Faisal talking to Peter O'Toole's Lawrence in the famous movie "Lawrence of Arabia," gear fab.

What a life it would be to travel all over hell's half acre, and become great in the living and describing of it. Here's someone who really made it work. He had that natural curiosity which seems to escape my tired mind. At the very short moments when my time might be my own, my brain seems to crafe the slow waves emanting from the Lidless Eye. I am sucked in like an unfortunate spider in the swirl of the drain. What I should be doing is reading "1001 Nights" or even Churchill's history of WW2. Or I should even be baking something...ANYTHING to get me away from mindless removal. By then its too late to blow the pipes, which would be the best. Daring Dayton of the Spanish Main is sawing teeny pieces of wood at that point and mustn't be awakened.

Just make an effort, I hear you cry. You bet, that's all it takes. Just go to the bookshelf and open something...anything. Stay away from the remote control at all costs. The remote control hovers at my shoulder like a demonic sprite, sibilantly whispering in my ear about how nice it would be to just let the Lidless Eye do all. Yes, my sweet, just sit there and stare...no more effort to it than what it takes to keep the eyes peeled. The Conglomerate will do the rest. Shhhhhh.... There there. Mmmmmhhhhmmmm....


4 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

I'd tell you to put a brick through it but I can't talk, I spend too much time surfing the bounding main now that we have broadband and Infamous Megamulti Inc req

3:34 PM  
Blogger Don said...

I'd tell you to put a brick through it but I can't talk, I spend too much time surfing the bounding main now that we have broadband and Infamous Megamultinational Incorporated requires I take their laptop home every night. But I did just manage to re-read both McAuslan books, a welcome respite from my doomed attempt to write my own (on quite a different theme); the pleasure only parly diluted by the vociferous claims from my beloved of what a waste of a life it is to read fiction. (I kid you not - and she just became a librarian, aye.)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Oh my God! A waste of life to read fiction eh? Somewhere in the foothills an imagination cries out for release. There are myriad arguments this but you already know them all. The mind boggles.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Roy, you have excellent taste in music.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home