Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dead Behind the Eyes

Today I awoke with the feeling of large blobs of lead inserted directly behind my eyeballs.  Two nights in a row of only five hours of sleep are responsible for that feeling, which has persisted through the day.  Of course, today I had a fairly crucial job interview.  Nothing like crappy sleep the night before a second interview for a job one is increasingly interested in.  I had visions of sitting there staring like one afflicted with the Innsmouth Look, my eyes two unblinking windows into my uncomprehending mind.

I can hear the conversation now:

Prof One: "Yeah, he seemed like a good guy, but he was creepy.  Do you think he was on something?  He just kept staring at me.  Weird."

Prof Two: "Well, yeah, or he was under some kind of mind control.  I'm not sure he understood anything we said.  There was a distinct lack of something."

Prof Three:  "He was creepy as hell!  Maybe we should just hire him to scare people away.  I mean, we do need that now and then.  Just sayin'."

 I think a glass of red wine might mercifully put me under, but my children won't let me.  I have this terrible feeling I will be forced to take them swimming.

Dammit.  Why can't they just drive themselves? 

5 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

Ten hours' sleep in two days is plenty. Puss.

Do they make costume contact lenses for that dead fish-eye look? I could see some fun in that.

Oh, right, job. Good luck with that. Napolitano your new boss?

6:27 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Ten ours in two days is enough, you say? You are a callow bare faced youth who knows nothing of life!

It ain't even close to enough. What sort of world do you live in?

Who knows about the job? It ain't with ol' Janet though, I can tell you, but there are famous people involved.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Don said...

Well, our first trip to New Orleans (Apr '12) went from a Friday morning to a Monday evening during which span of time we totaled nine hours in bed sleeping. I learned about myself, oh, I don't know what, maybe all I did was learn to age faster.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

I couldn't possibly pull that off unless I were in some extreme state of stress in order to get through a bad situation. My heavy partying days on that scale are way done. An afternoon getting ploughed at Forbidden Island works, but that's it.

Perhaps I abused myself too much already.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Roy said...

Fuhhhh...I think a couple of 5 sleep hour nights in a row would do me in. Think Innsmouth look modified by a sort of Richard Nixon eye-darting thing.

Don, I like the idea. I always thought one yellow contact, perhaps in the left eye, would be off-putting.

Anyway, meant to say, good luck with the job, Harry.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home