Friday, May 06, 2005

Finally A Friday

Indeed, and why am I making an entry? I can't really think of anything to write about. I just figured I better get something up here, or Hip Liz will make me do pushups, and rightly so. I inflicted this thing on the blogosphere, so I better use it, huh?

I miss it, but lately I have been busier than the one-legged man in the ass kicking contest. It just never ends. Well, it does end. The semester ends. Yeah. That. It just doesn't seem like it. My mind lately has gone into that halting mode. I have...a...thought. Almost as though William...SHATNER! has taken over my thought process.

Thank God for Baseball, or "Bay-tall" as Daring Dayton refers to it. I will hopefully sink deep into the televised version tonight, and attend the same Giants vs. Nationals game that Hip will be attending tomorrow. All the bushwah surrounding Barry's knee, and angst over the fortunes of the bullpen will be moot. I will lose myself in the expanse of green and the hum of the crowd. I just want to see the ball rocket across the diamond as Edgardo Alfonzo calmly throws out a runner by half a step, smoothly making a throw that would cripple my shoulder forever. I want to see Omar Vizquel lay out, snag the pill deep in the hole, and still throw the runner out from a sitting position. I almost don't care who wins. I just wanna see it happen.

The Nationals are an interesting story, aside from the shameful tale of political brutality they suffered at the hands of Major League Baseball when they were the Expos, just because of the name. There was a Washington Nationals club that played in the mid-19th century. Then, they were known as the Washington Nationals from 1905 through 1956, even though they were an American League club also known as the Senators. First in war, first in peace and last in the American League.

Right now, my computer is playing the Marine Band playing "Semper Fidelis." I love JP Sousa, particularly "Semper Fidelis." People around here have been somewhat taken aback by this, but to hell with 'em all. Sousa is quintessentially American, and swings waaaay down deep to boot. Besides, it's "The President's Own" playing the music of their greatest conductor. All other considerations evaporate.

Happy Friday, and semper fi'!


4 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

I dunno, if I find you tomorrow I just might make you put your feet up on the back of the chair and do twenty anyway, just out of general principle.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

I don't think I can do twenty. My shoulders are slowly falling apart. Arthritis probably, or all that dope I smoked in first grade.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Saw your moniker at Roy's. Would "Harry Flashman" be a nickname you chose after the same Harry Flashman of George MacDonald Fraser fame?

7:36 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Hi Mark, it would indeed. Don't tell GMF. Hehheh. I got into Flashman about 30 odd years ago. For some twisted reason he really appeals to me. I must be honoring my dark side, not to mention that Fraser is a superb story teller.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home