Friday, April 15, 2005

Acanthus

I've had a certain affection for acanthus bushes since we moved to Berkeley in 1965. They are large and solid and have those great big waxy leaves. I used to hide inside them when I was about 7. They were big enough, and I was small enough that I could get in under their arching stems and be invisible to my older brother. Any advantage was a big advantage in those days. Being that he was 9, he was much bigger and stronger than me, and didn't always balk at reminding me. To be fair, he wasn't a tyrant. Still, to have a friend like the acanthus was now and then a wonderful thing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

Kumquats! Wow, even having lived in California for 45 of my 47 years, I have never eaten a kumquat, or a loquat for that matter. Wonder why.

We had honeysuckles as well, and fucias, and hummingbirds were all over the place in our yard. My wife tells me that huumingbirds, particularly males, are extremely aggressive. Hard to picture it, but since she told me that I actually hae seen a couple of males engaged in seriously fisticuffs. Or maybe that would be beaksticuffs. Anyway, they were kicking each others asses while hovering in the air like a couple of enormous mosquitos. quite a sight.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Hey Wiggy, no my father was a Marine for 28 years, then worked for the State PUC in SF. My Mom drank OJ as I recall but actually preferred cranberry juice. :-)

We moved to Berkeley from Yuma, AZ in 1965 and to this day, I am eternally grateful. No knock on Yuma, but Berkeley was a great place to grow up in the Sixties and Seventies.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Oh yeah, it does NOT mean we are old. It just means that we are an iota or two wiser, or at least can act like it now and then.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Aha!

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home