Monday, October 10, 2005

What's made milwaukee Famous

...has given me a headache.

Today, fully intending to go to the gym at Noon and swim, I found myself explaining the vagaries of applying to grad school to a well-intentioned, nice person at whom it would've been hard to growl "Come back at 1!"

So, I did the only rational thing. I went to the bookstore and bought a copy of HST's "The Great Shark Hunt: The Gonzo Papers Volume 1" and went to the campus pub for three White Castle burgers and a quart of Pabst. You know, a little excess in the gonzo tradition.

It was perfect. I was left in peace to swill large gulps of cold, cheap beer, and read about the Kentucky Derby and the impending downfall of Richard Nixon (all the while mentally comparing that era with notes from the present day). Since my drinking has diminished greatly, the beer worked its magic and it took a while before I knew for sure that the sidewalk was really under my feet as I strolled back to the office. Just what I wanted.

The kink came around 2PM when I realized that my trapezius muscles along my upper spine had squeezed and a significant, dull throb was working its way up my neck, over the top of my head and down onto my forehead. Aaaiiieee! I had forgotten to drink enough water before guzzling the beer. I cursed my bad planning and immediately drank much water, but the damage was done.

Now we are nearly at 5PM, the ache has disappeared as long as I don't turn my head. Water and coffee have lowered its volume.

What's the lesson here? Always be prepared! The Coast Guard is, and so should all lunch time beer drinkers be!

Selah.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Semper Paratus!

Wasn't Pabst "from the land of sky blue waters"? Or was that Hamm's?

The beer that made Milwaukee famous was Schlitz.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

BTW - Check the "history" section of that CG link. Chock full of fun facts about the CG that many don't know. Like their involvement in WWII invasions.

My dad was on the Samuel Chase at Normandy. The CG were among the first on each beachhead as "Beachmasters". But the grunts and jarheads get all the attention.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

I ain't lyin'

Yes, you are!

LOL

"Mel Famey walk us."

LOL LOL

8:56 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Yeah, my father was a career Marine from before WW2, and very proud of it, but out of only two times he suggested I enlist, one of those times he urged me to join the Coast Guard. He had enormous respect for the CG, as any professional member of other sea-going services would.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

"That's the beer that made Mel Famey walk us!"

Roy, that stands as one of the great puns of all time. My Mom's cousin was a master punster, and would've appreciated this no end. I think it has to go into the Hall of Fame.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home